Monday, June 6, 2016

Finally Here!

I can't believe that I finally made it here!  It seemed like such a long time away from when I signed up in December to now, but at the same time, I don't think I prepared enough.  There seemed to be so much that I needed to do, especially as the day of departure and all the last minute activities related to the trip loomed over finals week, adding more stress to an already stressful event.  But I have arrived, and here is what I have learned:
1.  It can, in fact, get warm here in England.
             I was so sure that it would be cold to me as a born and breed California girl, but no, I was sorely mistaken, which is particularly unlucky as I had only packed pairs of long jeans and two short sleeve t-shirts out of my five shirts.  Any weather can seem hot when you walk in direct sunlight for over five hours a day.  And that is what we did.  The first day involved both a practical and historical walking tour of the Oxford area.  And in jeans and a (lite) sweater, it became very warm, very quickly, in 26 C, or around 78 F.  However, there is a quick solve to this problem:  second-hand stores are everywhere!  We had several pointed out to the group today as we toured around the center of Oxford, and another girl on the program and I are already planning on going shopping tomorrow for all of our needs,  I plan on buying some light tees, some capris, maybe even some shorts.  If the weather turns terrible for the rest of the trip, then I'll just have some for when I get back to the face-melting heat of a July on the West Coast.  It's a win-win situation. 
2.  Packing more can actually be helpful.
             I was very adamant about not packing too much and being able to take a carry-on on all of my flights while traveling in Europe and the U.K.  This meant that I needed a carry-on suitcase that would not exceed 22lbs, or be longer than I believe 22 inches.  I managed this after several frantic days searching trying to fit everything I thought I needed while staying here.  I forgot that, given that I would be gone from home for around 6 weeks, I had a reason to bring two suitcases.  Now I find myself in the predicament of needing to buy some cosmetics and hair products and now lighter items of clothing, and the list goes on.  If I decided to bring more stuff, this wouldn't have been necessary at all.  However, it does give way to new adventure of shopping in a new area and bonding with some of my fellow classmates.
 Pictures and more stories to come!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Rebecca,
    I am living vicariously through our adventures! I would love to see you write more on your blog, especially your visit to Jane Austins house and your trek to Paris!
    Katy :)
    (Ur dad's co-worker)

    ReplyDelete